Wednesday 9 July 2008

Pride and the flying Ve!

On Sunday I was able to do something I've wanted to do for a long time and now had an even better reason to do it! I took part in London (Gay) Pride 2008 March! It was fantastic...

To me, it was a chance to celebrate freedom in a world full of endless rules, oppressions and bureaucracy...It was also a chance to learn a lot; meet loads of cool new people; wave at crowds and celebrate the sexuality of someone very close to me. I love Ve and everything about her because she is everything I am not and I guess she breathes life into my otherwise very English, very stilted world! And BOI did she celebrate!!! (Sorry! lol!)

We turned up early, got a big flag which she waved frantically until she realised it wasn't attached and had to go chasing it down the street! She bounced around for the whole of the parade shouting and whistling and going crazy (and occasionally stealing cheeky kisses from girls in the crowd)!

Meanwhile, I understood, in my rather drab dress, surrounded by beautiful semi naked African dancing hunks, how my father must feel at a disco...but 'fuck it' I thought, and whistled some more!!! Particularly I tried to get a reaction from the crowd...It struck me about 60%+ of the crowd were gay, which puzzled me as they were standing, not marching?! Anyhow, I got to one corner and really 'gave it beans!' - nothing! Later Ve informed me that that was the 'Jesus will save you' corner - they should buy some banners, or something - actually, no - they should have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up!

I was impressed with the people I met too - I admit here and now that Trans people have always unnerved me - but I've always pushed past that fear in order to get to know them - they are actually mostly great people. What harm would it do to let them just be themselves? They walked up and down the street and the world didn't end; An overly aroused Godzilla didn't come up the Thames in a tutu (Shame really, I'd have loved to have heard TFLs excuse for that one - wrong type of gender queer monster on the track?!)...would have made 7/7 look like the 4th July!

Actually the Trans people were cool; seems stonewall don't want to know about them, though- wtf?! Why be such a fantastic , heroic organisation, then behave like the people you had to overcome in the first place in regards to someone else's need to be themselves: Just because it doesn't fit your model? Why not be a hero to all?

As for me, well, I'm coping with the desperate fear that I might be straight ;) but am still refusing to classify myself - I'll see if the urge takes me, and if it does, well... :)

No comments: